7/03/2013

Hello to Instagram!!!

You guys.  Let me tell you what happened last week.  I had a rough week.  I was feeling pretty defeated.  We were all grumpy.  I got sick.  The girls were fussy.  It was a long weekend.  and on Sunday, I decided to list my skirts in my Etsy shop.  My Etsy shop has always been for fun, it's never been crazy busy, never really been a high volume of orders, but it's something I enjoy and I think it's important to keep a shop front open and available online so I keep it up.  I have seen some of the people I follow on Instagram do something called a "flash sale" or an "Instasale", so I thought I'd give it a try.  I posted a few images.


and there was some interest in it from some people who follow me, so I thought hey!  This may be cool!  I may sell one tonight!  I prayed for the next few hours that I would sell 5.  I think I listed around 20 something?  5 seemed out of this world to me.  At indie craft shows, I sell a LOT.  It's such a thrill to see the things I've made with love with my two hands going to all the little girls who come to my table with their mommies.  :) but online, I just don't sell 5 skirts in a day.

8:00 came, and I went to the computer and started the sale.  I think by 8:30 I sold one and we all cheered.  The girls clapped and danced, it was a good time.  and then I sold 2.  and 3.  and by Emma's bedtime we sold 5.  and then 6.  Some of my IG friends had shared about the sale to the people who follow them, and all in all I gained about 200 new followers.  Messages were coming in by the second!  and by the time it was all over the next day, I sold 18 skirts.  18 SKIRTS YOU GUYS.  18!!!


and I made a few new friends on IG!  It was SO fun.  Nothing like that has happened to me!  I had been praying for God to bless this effort and bless my business, and when He answered my prayer, He more than tripled it.  I still cannot believe it.  The next day I spent with a notebook, pen and my laptop, sorting it all out, sending out invoices, and packing everything up.  Every single person paid their invoice, and the whole process was time consuming but so easy.  I am happy that people found the clothes I make worthy enough for their girls to wear :) some are going to be presents, some are going to be birthday skirts, and some are just for everyday wear!  I think that is SO fun.  That is why I love my job.

One of the coolest things was having Emma help me package everything up (she drew smiley faces on the thank you cards!) and sending them all away in the mail this afternoon.


So I planned another sale for THIS Sunday, like a crazy woman.  People were requesting skirts and the demand is too high!  If a little girl needs a special Minnie Mouse skirt, who am I to turn her down, right?  I spent Monday and Tuesday fabric shopping and came home with over 30 pounds of fabric to cut up and start the process of making new skirts.


I hope to have 20 new skirts to sell on my Instagram on Sunday!  I have been cutting them since Monday night.  I have 7 piles of fabric: cool solids, cool stripes, cool patterns, warm solids, warm stripes, warm patterns, and main detail shirts.  It is so much fun to pick from the piles and play around with colors and patterns and CUT UP CLOTHES!  It's something you're never allowed to do, but I get to do it!!! :) I love chopping away at something old and turning it into something new and beautiful.  


and so if you're visiting from Instagram, welcome!!!  I'd love to share a couple of things with you.  I started my business in 2007 as something just for fun, but became really serious about it a few years ago.  I have accomplished some pretty cool goals that I had for myself.  My studio was featured in a printed publication.  I was a "crafter of the month" for a popular craft supply brand.  If you live in Richmond, you've probably seen my stuff around.  I'm in a few shops locally, and have been in a few shops nationally, too.  Through my Etsy shop, I've sold things all over the world.  Greece, Japan, Australia, Iran, France, Brazil, England... that's only a few!  I am proud of achieving those goals, because I'm a stay at home mom to two little loves, Emma & Zoey.  It gives me something to do!  People to talk to!  A purpose other than changing diapers!  I always wanted to be a stay at home mom, but my hands cannot stop creating, and my mind cannot stop dreaming up of things to make, and in my house we are artists.  We make things.  We reconstruct, we upcycle, we paint and we create.  I love being able to provide for my family by the things that I make, but more importantly, it's such a fun journey for us all to go on.  My girls will learn so much from this.  I want to make them proud :)  So thank you SO MUCH for supporting my shop.  


ps -- see you on Sunday!  Back to work for me!

1 comment:

Christa said...

I am so encouraged by this! I found you through the sweet She's Sew Sassy when talking about an IG sale. I have been contemplating one for the last couple of weeks since my most recent sales have come through IG. My only hesitation is making my IG account public. I like that little layer or privacy I have, but I feel like if I want to do a sale I can't keep it that way. Thanks for posting about your experience! Hoping to do one here soon too! Congrats on your awesome sales!!